Sunday, July 16, 2017

Grind Down Fine



author's note:

He's so fine
Do-lang do-lang do-lang
      -- "He's So Fine", lyric by Ronald Mack


GRIND DOWN FINE

Now I can accept
the feeling of being lost
as I walk this land--
now I can accept
the feeling
of shouldering a burden

because I have accepted
these beliefs:

my steps, though confused, have a purpose--
a hidden path, a plan:

just look how strong I've grown

with the weight of this unseen stone
on my back--
a stone incessantly turning.

Yeah
the stone grinds me down
as it turns
but as I lose
so much of what I was
the finer me
I'm meant to be
is slowly unveiled

plus I leave a trail--

imagine a trail of corn meal
others may feed upon
and follow

if they feel lost
if they need sustenance
if they struggle
to accept this path
--this burden:

they can feed on me
just as I've fed on many
who've gone before me

they can feed on us
just as those who follow them
will feed on them--

yes
like you, like me
they will leave
a trail of corn meal
as they find their way--

as they
grind down fine.


© 2017, Michael R. Patton
Searching for My Best Beliefs: a poetry book

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home