Thursday, December 01, 2022

While Working in the Sock Department of a Major Chain Store

author's note:

In memory of a friend who often said: "it's an outer manifestation of an inner reality".


WHILE WORKING IN THE SOCK DEPARTMENT OF A MAJOR CHAIN STORE

Recently, I’ve noticed
many people passing over
those socks with the polka dots
and choosing the ones
with that plaid design
instead.

I view this trend
not as a mere fad
but as a message
from the human psyche:

I believe
that plaid represents
work those folk are doing
on an inner level--

bringing opposing forces together--
    joining left with right
    and up with down--
to create a stable structure.

Seeing the strength that results
from their labor
more will then dedicate themselves
to this job of creating a union within.
They too
will realize their inner plaidness.

And when they do
their actions will reveal
a deeper human truth.

Maybe you’ll scoff at my belief
but consider how it helps me:

now when I see
someone choosing
a plaid pair of socks
my hope for the human race lifts

and I become
even more determined
to unify all my parts
and rid myself
of this weak feeling--
this feeling of being
just odd assortment of dots.

When I’m more together
I can join with those others--
I want to be part
of that grand plaid design.

Poet, Heal Thyself: poetry book
dream steps blog
myth steps blog
you tube channel
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home