Sunday, February 19, 2023

Fig Tree Communion

author’s note:

I don’t find my roots by looking back at ancestors I never knew.


FIG TREE COMMUNION

I take this fig onto my tongue
and as I savor its richness
I sense the spirit of the mother tree
spreading through my blood--

for a few blessed moments
I can feel her steady strength.

Then as the feeling fades
I begin to wonder:

can I ever be so strong?--can I

bend in the storm wind?--can I
keep my roots anchored down?

I doubt I can
but I’m inspired to try
when I see the power
of so many wise survivors
who now feed the world
with all those figs they’ve grown.

Glorious Tedious Transformation: poetry book
dream steps blog
myth steps blog
you tube channel
© 2023, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home