Monday, January 02, 2023

An Ark Builder Overcomes Reasonable Doubt with Reason

author’s note:

To all the Noahs out there.


AN ARK BUILDER OVERCOMES REASONABLE DOUBT WITH REASON

As a child when I heard
the story of Noah
I firmly decided:
you must obey higher guidance
even if people doubt you.


Ah, but my resolution slipped
when, years later
the voice of wisdom spoke to me
as I tried to quiet my heart
during a time of confusion.

Like the command Noah heard
the message I received
seemed to go against common sense.

Nonetheless, I might have believed--
if the voice had boomed down from the clouds.
But no
the answer rose softly
from a place deep within me

and so
governed by doubt
I went against the guidance

and soon realized
I should’ve heeded that advice.

And oh--
the advice didn’t stop--
because in curiosity, I strained to hear
the next message and the next
and the next.

Though in short time, I learned
I should obey what I heard
I still worried about
rejecting my reasonable doubt--
after all
I didn’t want to lose my reason--
reason is good!

Fortunately, I eventually
I developed a strategy:
when I begin to fret about
some major building instruction
I counter my doubt
with this reasonable argument:

maybe I am
making a grand mistake

but if I act with courage and love
that mistake will be
wonderfully grand.

Common Courage: poetry ebook
dream steps blog
myth steps blog
you tube channel
© 2023, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home