Monday, December 26, 2022

Golden Belief

author’s note:

Wishing you a golden new year.


GOLDEN BELIEF

When I learned about leprechauns
as I child
I decided:
Noah found a pot of gold
when his ark reached the rainbow
after 40 days and 40 nights of storm.

Then whenever I saw a rainbow arc
I’d think to myself:
if I could somehow find a way over there
I’d carry home
a kettle filled with coin
and begin a sunny new life.


Of course, in time, I realized
no ’bow ever touched down.
No end to be found--no gold.

And yet even now
if I happen to glimpse
just a shred of a prism
hanging in the air
I’ll again feel that hope
and imagine finally arriving
at the end of the rainbow
where my gold shines like a sun.

Of course, as an adult I understand
the gold I seek is not a tangible metal
but a wisdom earned
by finding ways to navigate
days and nights of storm.

Am I a fool to think
I can ever own so much gold?
Maybe.
But I’ll keep believing
because if I ever stop struggling
I’ll be deadened
by the feeling of defeat.

Dancing to Raven’s Song: a novel novel
dream steps blog
myth steps blog
you tube channel
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home