Sunday, December 18, 2022

Stepping with the Baby

author’s note:

Wishing you the best on all your big steps in 2023.


STEPPING WITH THE BABY

The bold blind wandering fool
I once was
has become a seasoned explorer who can see
potential risk
and knows
men and women of courage
do not always win.

Even those who’ve checked
every box on the list.

But this man also realizes
if he doesn’t answer the call
he will die.

And so
I lift my foot
to take the next step.

But even after all these years
a baby still clings to my back.
Being so immature
that tot couldn’t care less
about higher necessities--
it only worries about its own well-being--
neither reason nor cooing will stop
that child from kicking and crying.

So I do not try to negotiate
but continue to stretch my stride.

And when the raised foot lands
back on solid ground--
that child calms down

but only for a while:
   as soon as one scary step
   has settled firmly
   another scary step
   demands to be heard.

What a labor, the way we humans live.

But at times
I can put aside the careful adult
and that anxious infant
to allow another child—
a child of wonder--
to open my eyes
to the incredible life to be found
on every step of this path.

Common Courage: poetry book
dream steps blog
myth steps blog
you tube channel
© 2022, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home