Sunday, February 05, 2023

Ocean Adventure

“And if you have not been enchanted by this adventure--
        your life--
what would do for you?”
        -- Mary Oliver


OCEAN ADVENTURE

I once believed
I’d missed my chance
for a life of gusto and adventure

then I realized:
though the air I imbibed
was sometimes dry
I have always sailed with full sails
because I’ve breathed deeply

and when moored, I often explored
the dark depths

and didn’t shut my eyes
when shocked
by the creatures I discovered.

What a grand voyage!--
I’ve landed on many unknown lands.
I’ve steered through countless storms

but I must admit
I occasionally wrecked.

Yes, I’ve survived br> a variety of calamities--br> this dim captain has been lucky.

Unlike some who’ve navigated
these seas with me.

But I guess it’s wrong
to think I’m the fortunate one--
after all, they’ve gone on
to other adventures.

Well yes, but I doubt
their new journeys could be
any more wondrous
than the wild trip they took
on this mysterious planet.

Common Courage: poetry book
dream steps blog
myth steps blog
you tube channel
© 2023, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home