Thursday, February 23, 2023

The Same Creek

author’s note:

Take me to the river
And wash me down
Won't you cleanse my soul
Put my feet on the ground
       -- “Take Me to the River”, by Al Green & Teenie Hodges

I say: take yourself.


THE SAME CREEK

Whoever says you can't step
in the same creek twice
obviously doesn't know creeks.

Over the years
I’ve often returned to this creek

and it has always welcomed me
saying: step in

and I will wash your feet clean
no matter where you've been
since you last knelt on my bank.

Why shouldn’t I accept you?--
after all, no human can walk without
getting their feet a little muddy

and often more than a little
even when they tread carefully.

But sometimes a pilgrim needs
to become mired in the muck.
Otherwise, they’d never work to be free.

Of course, there are those
who choose to wallow

but aren’t they innocent in their ignorance?

So how can I refuse them
when, like you, they lament
their dim-sighted foolishness
and crawl down to my waters?

But credit yourself
with being wise enough
to realize what you win
by rediscovering your humility
and surrendering
to this creek
once again.

Poet, Heal Thyself: poetry book
dream steps blog
myth steps blog
you tube channel
© 2023, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home