Monday, January 30, 2023

Bird Watching

author's note:

Bird bird bird b-bird’s the word.
          -- from “Surfin’ Bird” by The Trashmen


BIRD WATCHING

Years ago when I was told
I should choose a totem animal
to express who I was
my aspiration said: “wings”.

Don’t we all wish for wings?

Since then
my desire hasn’t changed:
I still want to be the high-flying eagle.

Yes, I do soar sometimes
but in truth, I spend more time
on the ground
as a Bantam

and often show off
like the inflated Peacock

but even then
most people still see me as “Wren”.

Or perhaps as a Dodo--
unable to adapt
to these batty times.

I share their view sometimes
but I can also see
I’m the nimble sandpiper
racing down the beach--
finding delight in that seam
where two worlds meet.

Yes, I know
my Crow caw sounds raw
but I feel compelled
to shout alarm

and anyway
I do try to soften my tone
by adding the simple beauty
of the Meadowlark’s song.

Unfortunately, I often
I muffle that voice
by being an Ostrich.

However
I keep trying to take my head out

if only to discover
what other birds I might be.

But who among us
doesn’t possess
many species of bird?

Dancing to Raven’s Song: a novel
dream steps blog
myth steps blog
you tube channel
© 2023, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home