Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Falling, But With Wings



author's note:

I thought this would be a good follow-up to the last post.

 
FALLING, BUT WITH WINGS

In the dream, I wonder
if I can truly be flying--

though I seem to sail along
I could be losing altitude
so slowly I don't notice--

all around me, I see nothing but cloud

while my survival instinct screams: this is death--!--

yet I know from watching
eagles and jets
that the invisible is indeed strong enough
to hold us aloft--

that realization spurred me
to leap from the cliff
to initiate this journey

but now, away from my port
reason is a poor weapon against doubt...

fortunately, the drive to survive can also assist:

because I want so much to live
--to live so much--
I continue to painfully stretch
my tiny wings out--

a crucifixion:
that's what it feels like--
it feels like...

the hard shell of my ribcage
is finally beginning to crack.


© 2013, Michael R. Patton
Glorious Tedious Transformation

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home