Thursday, July 15, 2021

The North Star

author’s note:

When I see that twinkle in your eye, I know you’re star.


THE NORTH STAR

Have you ever felt like howling
at the North Star?--
perhaps spurred by
the natural desire
to reach what seems
beyond reach?

Years ago
with my mind spiraling
I acted on impulse
and climbed out the upstairs window
to sit on the roof and answer
that star with my heart.

Tantalized--!--I maintained
my hound dog moan
until yanked down
to the ground
by the dawn.

I felt rough and burnt
all that morning
but tried to comfort myself
with this thought:
the star had seemed closer
than ever before
in its shift of clouds.

But alas. I couldn’t ignore
how that diamond refused
to lower more
despite my pleading.

Then at noon
a strange thought struck me:
what if I looked down one day
and found that star in my heart?

At that moment, I finally realized
the truth behind
the desire that has me spiraling.

myth steps blog
© 2021, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home