Friday, June 04, 2021

Monster Behind the Door: a Dream

author’s note:

From experience, I say: dreams don’t lie.


MONSTER BEHIND THE DOOR: A DREAM

I decided to face that monster
I could feel lurking
on the opposite side of the door.

But as I pulled the knob
that beast pulled against my pull

so I gave up and tried
to push the door all the way shut

but then that shadow force
pushed against my push.

In nervous frustration
I then upped my courage
another notch:

I stopped

and stepped back

which allowed the door
to swing open.
Darkness suddenly vanished
into light then
and the wail I’d heard
coming from a banshee
became the cry of a small child
abandoned on the floor.

Unfortunately
I awoke from the dream then

so I can’t tell you if I lifted that child up

but from experience
I can say for certain:
once opened
those doors do not close.

The Truth of the Dream: poetry ebook
© 2021, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home