Tuesday, June 01, 2021

Listening to Myself

author’s note:

I’d like to add: it’s also good to see a therapist besides yourself.


LISTENING TO MYSELF

I’ve finally learned:

when the chest begins to tighten
I must stop and become
the therapist--
the one who doesn’t judge
or even try to resolve the conflict
tying up my head at that moment.

When this wise one hears my anger
it hears the old pain hidden beneath
the conflict.

It hears the old grief.

Sometimes someone just needs
someone to acknowledge their pain.
Since no one knows me better
than my own self
I can be my best listener--
but only if I stop criticizing
and open my empathy instead.

When I do, I emerge
from the brief listening session
feeling the fresh strength of release
and perhaps then I can dance
rather than wrestle with
the conflict of the moment.

Poet, Heal Thyself: poetry ebook
© 2021, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home