Friday, June 11, 2021

The String

author’s note:

Though I’m on a string, there is some slack.


THE STRING

I believe I’m on a string.

I say so because
many times I’ve been pulled
down roads
I didn’t wish to follow.

Yes, I often fought
but then the string yanked me--
dragged me along.
Unsettling to know
I wasn’t in control

until I realized:
this string could also be taking me
away from danger--
perhaps the edge of a cliff.

But what about those times
when the string seemed
to lead me into
adverse circumstance?

I decided to answer that question this way:
I need to learn what I need to learn.
Yes, the string operates according to plan--
a plan designed especially for me.

That idea gives me a little lift
when this path seems such a drag.
But before I inflate too much
I remind myself:
whatever holds my string
also steers
over seven billion other folk

following a plan
we can not see.

Soultime: a novel
© 2021, Michael R. Patton

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home